Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Telnetting to NT, then running emacs

From: Rich Pieri <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Feb 1997 18:29:40 -0500

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>>>>> "GV" == Geoff Voelker <[email-masked]> writes:

GV> I've placed Andrew's version of 19.34 that contains his current set of
GV> fixes in
GV> ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs/19.34/i386/emacs-19.34.2-update.zip

Save your existing files (check what the zip file will overwrite).  This
version seems to be sporadically unstable on my Windows 95 machine.

-- 
Rich Pieri <[email-masked]> | Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | core, which, if exposed due to
A Stone & Webster Company                 | rupture, should not be touched,
I speak for myself, not PTI or SWEC       | inhaled, or looked at.

---

From: Rich Pieri <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Feb 1997 00:42:45 -0500

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>>>>> "CP" == Chetan Pandya <[email-masked]> writes:

>> version seems to be sporadically unstable on my Windows 95 machine.

CP> I noticed the same, but was wondering if I did something wrong.

Probably something close to what I did.  I had forgotten that the bash I
have been using is the DJGPP-compiled bash which, while being a 32-bit
program, is *NOT* a Win32 console mode program.  If your SHELL (the
command interpreter that the SHELL environment variable or registry
setting is pointing at) is not a Win32 console mode program, this
patched version of Emacs will cause you problems.

I downloaded and installed the Cygnus GNU-Win32 version of bash from
ftp.cygnus.com and that seems to have helped tremendously (although
loading a 3Mb DLL every time the shell starts up is a pain).