Subject: upgrading: 19.34.6 to 20.3
From: Erwin Achermann <[email-masked]>
To: Geoff Voelker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 10:30:10 +0200

So i assembled all the information, that i got to my "upgrading" post. 
I also add a section remarks/problems. It is a collection of messages i
found are closely related to upgrading. 

[...]

Cheers
Erwin

Upgrading from 19.34.6 to 20.3.1

I addapted Karel Sprengers <[email-masked]> upgrade procedure:

1. Downloaded the precompiled version and the lisp source from:
  
ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs/latest/i386/emacs-20.3.1-bin-i386.tar.gz
  
ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs/latest/i386/emacs-20.3.1-lisp.tar.gz
   or one of the many mirrors;

2. Used Winzip 6.3 SR-1 to unzip/untar these into C:\emacs-20.3.1 and
   subdirectories;

4. Copied my site-lisp tree from C:\emacs-19.34 to C:\emacs-20.3.1, and
then
   removed all *.elc files from this tree;

5. Changed my PATH to use C:\prog\emacs-20.3.1\bin instead
   of C:\prog\emacs-19.34\bin;

6. Ran "C:\prog\emacs-20.3.1\bin\addpm C:\prog\emacs-20.3.1" as per
instructions;

7. deleted following environment vars.
	EMACSDATA=c:\prog\emacs\etc
	EMACSDOC=c:\prog\emacs\etc
	EMACSLOADPATH=c:\prog\emacs\lisp
	EMACSPATH=c:\prog\emacs\bin

8. Started "runemacs --no-site-file --no-init-file", and recompiled all
the
   *.el files in my site-lisp tree (adjusting Makefiles and such where
needed);

9. Started "runemacs --no-site-file --no-init-file", and stepped through
my
   site-start.el and default.el files (in the site-lisp directory) by
   selecting a region and then doing Emacs-Lisp -> Evaluate Region or
simply
   C-x C-e after each sexp. I did the same for my .emacs file;
   Several things became obsolet, rename win32- to w32-

10. Renamed C:\emacs-20.3.1 to C:\emacs and ran addpm again;

11. Changed all shortcuts to "runemacs" to "runemacs -unibyte"

12. Byte-compiled all *.el files in site-lisp.

Problems/Remarks:

* the following (to me) essetial packages run without further tweaking:
	- visemacs ok
	- gnuserv ok
	- auctex ok
	- ispell ok
* I miss the tex <-> iso conversion that iso-cvt.el used to
  provide on save and find-file. How is this accomplished nowadays?

* printing is supposed to be done by emacs itself. I didn't manage it
  to configure it. The FAQ doesn't really help me. Some standard
  examples would be nice...

"Karel Sprenger" <[email-masked]> reports
* According to GNU Emacs NEWS:
  > The default value of load-path now includes most subdirectories of
  > the site-specific directories /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp and
  > /usr/local/share/emacs/VERSION/site-lisp, in addition to those
  > directories themselves.  Both immediate subdirectories and
  > subdirectories multiple levels down are added to load-path.
  This is unfortunately not the case for NTEmacs.

* ediff-revision used to show revisions of files with anoying trailing
  C-m's, but the 20.3.1 version makes it even worse by displaying TWO
  C-m's.  I found out that this originates somewhere in the bowels of
  vc.el, where a shell command like "co -p > file" is used.  This
  somehow introduces the C-m's.

* the standard speedbar.el has a bug (as already pointed out here and
  noted in Geoff's excellent FAQ), but luckily JDE contains a good
  one;

* I still use (standard-display-european t) although it is marked as
  semi-obsolete in the function help.  I didn't understand how to use
  > `set-language-environment' and `set-terminal-coding-system', coupled
with
  > the `--unibyte' option if you prefer to use unibyte characters.
  to have files (in which I had used iso-accents-mode) to display the
  accented characters.

"Dr. Francis J. Wright" <[email-masked]> reports:
* Firstly, it now calls Tex using `tex \nonstopmode\input file', but
  it doubles the backslashes to escape them for a UNIX shell.  This
  causes havoc using command.com (via cmdproxy).  A possible solution
  is just to edit the source code, but I currently prefer to advise
  tex-send-command to replace all \\s by \s.  That seems to work.

* Secondly, the *tex-shell* buffer is now put into
  compilation-minor-mode, which is fine except that if you want to
  interact with TeX (in the event of some TeX source error) then you
  need to turn off compilation-minor-mode first.  I don't feel that
  this is as clearly documented in the Emacs manual as it might be.

* The two together lead to an amusing (?) catch-22 situation.  The \\s
  provoke TeX errors, but you can't interact with TeX to stop it.  I
  tended to end up with several hung processes that prevented me
  shutting down the machine until I figured out what was going on!

More from Francis Wright:

* If you want to, you are welcome to add a pointer to

  http://www.maths.qmw.ac.uk/~fjw/public_emacs/

  in which the file msdos-tex-shell.el implements the above fix, together
  with a few others.  This file and msdos-shell-fix.el together give me an
  environment that runs TeX nicely (and fairly reliably) using the
  standard Windows 95 shell (command.com).  However, as I have said
  before, I don't know how these files work with AUCTeX, because I don't
  use it.

"Davcd Nichols" <[email-masked]> reports:
* I'd like to have white letters on a black background and 11-point
  Courier New.  The following (lifted from the FAQ with slight
  changes) in .emacs does the trick.

(setq default-frame-alist
      '((cursor-color . "white")        (cursor-type . box)
        (foreground-color . "white")    (background-color . "black")
        (font . "-*-Courier New-normal-r-*-*-18-108-*-*-c-*-*-ansi-")
        ))

  The problem is that the modeline also shows up with white letters
  and a black background, not inverted as desired.  The odd thing is
  that if I select the same font (using Shift-Mouse1 to get the font
  selection dialog and selecting 11-point Courier New) the mode line
  now displays correctly (black letters on a white background).  What
  do I need to add to my .emacs file so that emacs launches with the
  correct appearence?

-- 
Erwin Achermann                               Tel:      ++41 1 632 74 40
Institut fuer Wissenschaftliches Rechnen      Fax:      ++41 1 632 13 74
ETH Zentrum, IFW C29.2          mailto:[email-masked]  ICQ:4625051
CH-8092 Zuerich	               http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/acherman/
>  Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, <
>  but when there is no longer anything to take away.                  <
>                                          -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery <

Hi,

Geoff Voelker <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Erwin raises a good point here: it'd be worth preparing a migration guide 
> > for those considering the move from 19.34 - I'm still running into the 
> > odd incompatibility from time to time, and it'd be useful to know whether 
> > I'm missing something from the version change, or whether the problem is 
> > more "fundamental".
> 
> I think this would be useful, too.  does anyone have the interest to
> write something up for the FAQ?
> 

Don't know if I want to volunteer, but I think the migration from 19.34.6 to
20.3.1 went rather smoothly in my case.  The steps I took were the following:

1. Downloaded the precompiled version and the lisp source from:
   ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs/latest/i386/emacs-20.3.1-bin-i386.tar.gz
   ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs/latest/i386/emacs-20.3.1-lisp.tar.gz
   or one of the many mirrors;
2. Used Winzip 6.3 SR-1 to unzip/untar these into C:\emacs-20.3.1 and
   subdirectories;
3. Copied my site-lisp tree from C:\emacs-19.34 to C:\emacs-20.3.1, and then
   removed all *.elc files from this tree;
4. Changed my PATH to use C:\emacs-20.3.1\bin instead of C:\emacs-19.34\bin;
5. Ran "C:\emacs-20.3.1\addpm C:\emacs-20.3.1" as per instructions;
6. Started "runemacs --no-site-file --no-init-file", and recompiled all the
   *.el files in my site-lisp tree (adjusting Makefiles and such where needed); 
7. Started "runemacs --no-site-file --no-init-file", and stepped through my
   site-start.el and default.el files (in the site-lisp directory) by
   selecting a region and then doing Emacs-Lisp -> Evaluate Region or simply
   C-x C-e after each sexp. I did the same for my .emacs file;
8. Renamed C:\emacs-20.3.1 to C:\emacs and ran addpm again;
9. And that's it.

Or rather, that should have been it.  A few glitches on the way:

1. According to GNU Emacs NEWS: 
   > ** The default value of load-path now includes most subdirectories of
   > the site-specific directories /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp and
   > /usr/local/share/emacs/VERSION/site-lisp, in addition to those 
   > directories themselves.  Both immediate subdirectories and 
   > subdirectories multiple levels down are added to load-path.
   This is unfortunately not the case for NTEmacs;
2. ediff-revision used to show revisions of files with anoying trailing C-m's,
   but the 20.3.1 version makes it even worse by displaying TWO C-m's.  I
   found out that this originates somewhere in the bowels of vc.el, where a
   shell command like "co -p > file" is used.  This somehow introduces the
   C-m's.
3. the standard speedbar.el has a bug (as already pointed out here and noted
   in Geoff's excellent FAQ), but luckily JDE contains a good one;
4. I still use (standard-display-european t) although it is marked as
   semi-obsolete in the function help.  I didn't understand how to use
   > `set-language-environment' and `set-terminal-coding-system', coupled with
   > the `--unibyte' option if you prefer to use unibyte characters.
   to have files (in which I had used iso-accents-mode) to display the
   accented characters.

In all, the migration went well, and I'm now happily working with the new
version (although I am VERY annoyed with glitch #2).  Looking forward to all
the improvements that are bound to show up!

Cheers,
Karel

-- 
Karel Sprenger <[email-masked]>               | phone: +31-20-525 2302
Informatiseringscentrum                     |        +31-20-525 2741
Universiteit van Amsterdam                  | fax  : +31-20-525 2084
Turfdraagsterpad 9, NL-1012 XT  AMSTERDAM   | home : +31-20-670 0942
*** PGP Public Key available on servers *** | email: <[email-masked]>